(Pocket-lint) – The iMessage app is one of the most frequently used apps on iPhone, and it’s a repository of valuable information. Your iMessage app probably contains important messages from friends, family members, colleagues, and other sources. If you accidentally delete your message, you may wonder how you can retrieve text messages on iPhone.
You may need to retrieve text messages in numerous scenarios. Perhaps you’ve mistakenly deleted important messages, accidentally lost all text conversations after an iOS update, or you’ve restored or jailbroken your iPhone, leading to a loss of messages. Whether you have a backup or not, you have several options to retrieve text messages on iPhone.
This article provides an overview of the: multiple methods to retrieve text messages on iPhones:.
How to retrieve deleted text messages on iPhone with backup?
iPhone offers numerous methods to backup your messages. You can backup your messages on iTunes and iCloud, and you can even establish a manual backup schedule. If you have an iTunes or iCloud backup, you can use the official methods to retrieve the entire backup file. However, iCloud and iTunes backups are compilations of all of your backups, so you can not individually view and select specific messages to retrieve. You have to restore the entire backup file – all or nothing.
Below, we describe how to: retrieve deleted text messages on iPhone: using iTunes backups or iCloud backups.
Retrieve deleted text messages on iPhone using iTunes backup:
- Access iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Go to Summary> Restore Backup.
- Select the backup file you want to restore.
- Click Restore.
Retrieve deleted text messages on iPhone using iCloud backup:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings> General> Reset> Reset All Content and Settings.
- Enter your passcode to start the reset process, which will delete all existing data.
- Wait for your iPhone to be factory reset.
- Set up your iPhone from scratch, including the language, country, and more.
- Connect your iPhone to the WiFi.
- Enter your Apple ID and password.
- Enter the App & Data screen.
- Select ‘Restore from iCloud backup.’
- Enter your iCloud details.
- Select the iCloud backup you want to restore.
Drawbacks of using iTunes and iCloud backups:
- No Previews:: iCloud and iTunes backup all the data on your iPhone at specific intervals. They do not just backup the messages; they back up the photos, contacts, and all other details. There is no way to preview the contents of the backup, so you have to trust that the backup you are retrieving will have all the information you need.
- Not Selective:: iCloud and iTunes backups aren’t selective. You have to download all the content that was previously backed up, including the contacts, videos, photos, messages, apps, and much more. You can not simply select specific messages to retrieve.
- Reset iPhone:: iCloud and iTunes backups require a factory reset of your iPhone. You have to reset your iPhone to factory settings, following which the backup file can be restored. That means you will lose all of the data that was collected after the period of the last backup file. In an attempt to retrieve an old message, you might lose other important messages.
How to retrieve deleted text messages on iPhone without backup?
As mentioned previously, retrieving messages from iCloud and iTunes backups can be extremely challenging. You have to factory reset your iPhone, remove all existing data, and overwrite the data from a previously made backup file. You can not view the backup files or individually select the files you want. Furthermore, it’s also possible that you do not back up your files regularly, so you will not have an iTunes or iCloud backup to recover in the first place.
PhoneRescue for iOS: is the most comprehensive iPhone and iOS data recovery tool available on the market. It’s a trustworthy app that allows you to recover 100% of the data with a few simple clicks. You can view your deleted messages and only retrieve the messages you want without having to factory reset your iPhone. As such, PhoneRescue for iOS allows you to recover old and lost messages without suffering any new data loss.
Below, we highlight how to retrieve deleted text messages on iPhone without backup using PhoneRescue for iOS.
Retrieve deleted text messages on iPhone without backup using PhoneRescue for iOS:
- Select ‘Recover from iOS Device’ and tap next.
- Select ‘Messages’ from the list of data types.
- The app will scan your iPhone and list all of your deleted messages.
- You can read the messages and select those you want to recover.
- Tap the ‘To Computer’ or ‘To Device’ buttons to send the messages to your computer or phone.
Benefits of using PhoneRescue for iOS:
- Retrieve Messages without Backup:: PhoneRescue for iOS allows you to retrieve all of your lost or deleted messages without backup. Even if you forget to backup the files on your iTunes or iCloud, you can still find the messages.
- Preview & Select Messages to Recover:: PhoneRescue for iOS allows you to preview the deleted messages and only recover those you want to retrieve. You do not have to forcibly retrieve your photos, contacts, and other data types.
- Simple, User-Friendly App:: PhoneRescue for iOS is an extremely simple and user-friendly app that can be used and operated by anyone without professional help.
- No Risk of Data Loss:: PhoneRescue for iOS does not necessitate a factory reset of the iPhone. You also do not have to overwrite your existing data or scrub the memory of your iPhone. You can retrieve the lost messages without risking additional data loss.
- Supports All iPhones:: PhoneRescue for iOS works on all iPhones and iOS 15, making it suitable for most iPhone users. It’s an extremely versatile data recovery app.
PhoneRescue for iOS is the leading third-party app for data recovery. If you’re concerned about your missing messages and do not want to risk losing additional data, we encourage you to try this data recovery solution.