NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and other state officials are facing a class action lawsuit filed by migrants who were flown to Massachusetts last week.
The case, filed in the District of Massachusetts Tuesday, names the State of Florida, the Department of Transportation, its secretary, Jared W. Perdue, as well as the governor – both in their official and personal capacities.
The lawsuit alleges that DeSantis and his others “designed and executed a premeditated, fraudulent, and illegal scheme centered on exploiting this vulnerability for the sole purpose of advancing their own personal, financial and political interests.”
The lawsuit alleges that unidentified “Doe Defendants,” collaborating with the named defendants, identified and targeted class members by “trolling streets outside of a migrant shelter in Texas and other similar locales, pretending to be good Samaritans offering humanitarian assistance.”
DESANTIS RIPS INTO OUTRAGE OVER MARTHA’S VINEYARD FLIGHTS: ‘I DIDN’T HEAR A PEEP’ ABOUT BIDEN FLIGHTS
Fox News has reached out to DeSantis’ office.
DeSantis sent two planes full of migrants to Martha’s Vineyard from Texas last Wednesday as part of his pledge to drop off illegal immigrants in liberal states. Martha’s Vineyard is famously known as a playground of rich progressives, including former President Obama, who bought a multimillion-dollar house there in 2019.
DeSantis proposed Delaware or Martha’s Vineyard as a destination for such migrants, but his office explained at the time that they could also be sent “to other ‘progressive’ states whose governors endorse blatant violations of federal immigration law.”
DeSantis’ office later said the migrants had been given more options to succeed in Massachusetts.
“Immigrants have been more than willing to leave Bexar County after being abandoned, homeless, and ‘left to fend for themselves,'” DeSantis spokesperson Taryn Fenske said. “Florida gave them an opportunity to seek greener pastures in a sanctuary jurisdiction that offered greater resources for them, as we expected.”
TEXAS BORDER AGENTS BUST MULTIPLE HUMAN SMUGGLING ATTEMPTS LEADING TO 20 ARRESTS
The Venezuelan migrants who were flown to the wealthy Massachusetts island from San Antonio on Wednesday said they were told they were going to Boston. Julio Henriquez, an attorney who met with several migrants, said they “had no idea of where they were going or where they were.”
He said a Latina woman approached migrants at a city-run shelter in San Antonio and put them up at a nearby La Quinta Inn, where she visited daily with food and gift cards. She promised jobs and three months of housing in Washington, New York, Philadelphia, and Boston, according to Henriquez.
Salazar said the migrants had been “preyed upon” and “hoodwinked.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Some Democrats have urged the Justice Department to investigate the flights, including California Gov. Gavin Newsom and US Rep. Joaquin Castro, whose district includes San Antonio.
The Associated Press and Fox News’ Jessica Chasmar contributed to this report.